Sunday, October 12, 2008

Trash To Treasure

This proves you can paint on anything. This piece is an old silver plated tray. I really like the look of the pretty edge around the tray. It looks like you have a framed piece. It's almost impossible to find trays with a smooth surface to paint on so I had to come up with a way to go around that. This tray had a pretty flower and leaf design in the bottom and I knew I had to fill that in so I would be able to dry brush my highlights on. So I put several coats of sealer. Still you could feel the etched design in the bottom. Then one day while out in my work room I saw a can of wall Spackle. I thought what the heck give it a try. So I put a thin coat over the bottom of the tray, let it dry and did a light sanding.
Then a few more coats of sealer and a few coats of base coat and it was as smooth as a babies behind...LOL,,,ready for painting.
I have gotten my hands on a few more trays so I plan to get a few more of these done with different designs. I've seen other trays and even bowls done, they work up really pretty. So the next time your cleaning out the basement or the hall closet take a second look at what your about to throw out. Because with a little time and your paints you can have a heirloom piece that will be enjoyed for many years to come.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Followers

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Joyce's Tole Painting

Show My Weather

Loaded Web

Yellow Pages for Chaptico, Maryland